Who We Fund: The Foundation accepts written grant proposals from tax-exempt organizations that are classified under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and that enhance the quality and accessibility of the arts in the greater Kansas City community.
Where We Fund: The Foundation focuses its philanthropic activities on the performing and visual arts with the majority of grants being awarded to organizations in Kansas City. Minimal funding is provided to qualifying organizations that fall outside of the greater Kansas City area, and any such grants are predominately “legacy grants.” New granting and funding priorities are focused in the Kansas City metropolitan area.
What We Fund: Funding is provided for general operations, program support, specific productions, fundraising events and capital campaigns. The Foundation does not provide funding for religious activities, deficit funding or grants to individuals.
How to Apply: A single, complete, written proposal should be submitted to the Foundation as follows:
Muriel McBrien Kauffman Foundation
Attn: Director of Finance and Grant Administration
4801 Rockhill Rd.
Kansas City, MO 64110
Grant proposals are not subject to specific deadlines or application forms. The following information is necessary for a proposal to be considered complete and ready for committee review: br>
1. A description of your organization including your mission and a brief summary of your organization’s history, goals, key achievements and on-going programs.2. Please specify a dollar amount requested from the Foundation and provide a description of your funding request that includes the objectives and detail regarding how the funds will be used.
3. A strategic plan for sustaining this effort and description of the evaluation procedures for assessing the effectiveness of the program. If requesting funds for general operating expenses, please detail how this continuous need will be met in the future.
4. Copy of your section 501(c)(3) Federal Tax Determination letter to verify tax-exempt status.
5. A current list of board members, officers and staff roster.
6. A copy of the most recent independent audited financial statements and annual report. If audited financial statements are not obtained by your organization, you may substitute your organization’s most recent IRS Form 990. If more than 3 months have passed since the end of the period covered in these statements, please also include a copy of the organization’s most current internal financial statements, if available.
7. A detail list of your organization’s current major funders, including amounts. In addition, please provide a list of contributors and/or other sources of support being approached to fund this specific proposal, including amounts anticipated and/or already secured.
8. If seeking general operating support, include organizational budget for the fiscal year(s) for which funding is requested. If seeking program or capital support, include related program or capital budget specific to the request.
Timeline of Review Process: Grant proposals are reviewed on an ongoing basis. We try to honor each proposal by responding promptly to all requests. Generally, grantees will be informed of the Foundation’s funding decision within sixty days from the date the proposal was received. However, please keep in mind that the time-frame and route a grant proposal takes through the Foundation is affected by the size of the investment and how closely it aligns with the Foundation’s mission.
Have a question? Please contact the Director of Finance and Grant Administration, at (816) 932-1219 or email@example.com with any questions.